FORTUNE by Jamiu Ahmed



 FORTUNE 

Life is an ancient mud house
with endless loopholes, one 
open leads to one end, one end
leads to another open, and the
loop continues like a mazy route

I'm a wayfarer in this labyrinth of
choice, hope, fate & faith, twisted 
together as a map to my destination 
So how do I find my path home?

In the pursuit of a greener shrub
I took the right turn, down I fell into
the chest of a wild forest, where I 
met the jinns of wealth, they told me 
"I'm the source of my own riches"

They served me bitter-sweet fruit juice 
With a golden goblet, I drank & fell
asleep like an infant, I dreamt of life
in the paradise & another life in hell 
I wake up at the origin with half of my
body burnt & half as smooth as silk

I took the left turn, again I fell into the 
abyss of a deep water, down I drowned 
to the seabed, I met a beautiful mermaid
She said:  “I'm the ocean of my own wealth
& my fortune has been written as lifeline
in me”
I checked my body, I saw nothing 
but scars from fire. she made love to me
at night, I woke up in the morning only
to find myself floating on water, naked

“Which way again?” 

 I asked the endless loop



©® Jamiu Ahmed 


Comments