HIEROGLYPH by Jamiu Ahmed



Hieroglyph

From the beginning, 

When heaven asked me what do I want in life

I said:

Give me quill to rewrite the tainted glory of my ancestors

Give me tongue, so I can speak the universal language of my father - the truth

The only fire that burns wildly on water
when the world became eyes - watching what the blazing flame can do

 Never ask me to bring the ashes, the embers are at the ocean floor

Have you not seen the water lettuce dancing to the crackles of the fire at the shore?

The rhythm are parables to the wise & sages

Who's the unseen drummer?

A rhetoric of fate & destiny, mumbled by wondering voices... 

Yesterday, father beat the Angolan samba tirelessly to the deaf ears till earth held him captive

Today, son is writing his own freedom song in hieroglyph, to be read as braille by the blinds

Tomorrow, man will search for the hidden meaning in between the letters of these immortal words...

©® Jamiu Ahmed


Comments