RISE FROM THE ASHES OF DEFEAT by Jamiu Ahmed


RISE FROM THE ASHES OF DEFEAT
(An African child II)

I am the water lettuce
Floating on the surface 
of water, blown from north
south, east to west
By the heavy winds of life

I am the silver-coated coin
Tossed up & down Into the sky
By brute fingers and tyrant rulers

I am the giant egg of a dragon
With shell so tough like a ligament
Smashed on the face of the rock
By the inevitable burdens of life

I am that innocent African child
Stricken with unknown bullets
By ghost fighters In a gory battle
Left for vultures to feast on my body
Heavy feet stamped upon the bones
Now crushed back into grains of hope

Yes, I'm bruised but not broken

I am that little phoenix
Set on fire by callous hands
Now watch me burn into fine gold
& rise from the ashes of defeat

©® Jamiu Ahmed 
Image from google.


Comments