HUSTLER MUSIC by Jamiu Ahmed



HUSTLER MUSIC

“I know
 one day one day
 e go better e go better for me”

Just like darkness rolls off its mat at
dawn, I don't wait for sunrise before I 
rise up from my bed of dead hope like
Jesus after the third day of crucifixion, for 
the dead shall rise again in the morning
On hearing the call of the white rooster

Whenever I hear “cock-a-doodle-doo”
I buckle up my tireless tyre-sandals
It's time to leave my shadow behind
to trail through the turbulent terrain 
& run past the fastest cheetah, like a
lunatic running after the ashes of a
burnt naira note blown into the Wind

“I know
 one day one day
 e go better e go better for me”

This song I sing everyday is a hot stone
that keep melting my throat each time 
I swallow it as my daily bread without 
drinking water. My dreams are metals
like a pedlar, I hawk them from street 
to street, till they finally rust on my head

Still, I keep singing this song my father 
sang, till his voice becomes hoarse, like 
a man, strangled by his unfulfilled dreams

This keep me toiling from dawn to dusk
like the wheel of an unrest clock, that 
goes round & round like an endless circle

Hoping one day, I would stop dreaming of my
dreams, pointing guns at me to let them live

©® Image credit 
 Jamiu Ahmed

Comments