HOLDING RIVER by Jamiu Ahmed Ahmed



HOLDING RIVER
(Of things that become part of us)

This is how I woke up
To find myself amidst drowning sea
dripped my head inside it, the water ran 
through my nose, I gasped for breath
but my mouth became a chute & the 
water roared down it. It tasted like me
& that's how I know I have melted into it

This is how I woke up
To find myself amidst violent winds
raging wild like a thunderstorm, heavy
enough to fold the world in between its
tempestuous arms, I murdered my ego
& buried myself in the heart of the earth
to let it pass, for me to live for another day

This is how I woke up,
To find myself amidst dreadful forest
dark & silent as a waiting grave, where
the dead go, to cry for their unspent life
I met my shadow, he told me to write my 
existence Into an immortal poem & sealed
It at the bark of the ancient baobab tree

This how I woke up
To find myself amidst this thorny world,
Where I learn to feign my smile, as myriad
needles keep piercing into my skin, I'm hurt
but never cry, for I have learnt to swim naked
In a hot river without melting into it anymore
Which are things that now become part of me

©® Jamiu Ahmed


Comments