DON'T MOURN MY DEATH by Jamiu Ahmed.






DON'T MOURN MY DEATH



I'm the song of sorrow from a frustrated lip
The tune of dirge from the saxophone of death
Melodies of a broken rhythm without dancers
To sympathise with the wearisome mother

I'm the continuous tears that kept rolling down
Like river Niger and Benue, meeting at the jaws
Of protruding eyes, swollen cheeks of a mother
That never stop waiting for the sun in the night.

I'm the worthless gold in the neck of a dog
Useless at hand and meaningless if invested
A futile basket in the rain with a lost bottom lid
The sun that isn't bright enough to dry clothes


I'm the caravan of heaven and earth by birth
A minute here on earth, a minute in heaven
Going on and off like the electric switches
Never wait to proclaim the glory of my days

I'm the mystical child with a shadow of death
My death is my twin that follows me around
These are the last words for my tired mother
"Don't mourn my death I'm "Abiku" the living dead"

Glossary:
"Abiku" means a spiritual child in Yoruba known as the "The caravan of heaven and earth".

©® Jamiu Ahmed



Comments