IN MY CITY by Jamiu Ahmed


IN MY CITY 

I peeped through the window of tomorrow
 to see what is happening in my city 

I saw shadows around the sun
vicious hands trying to overcast the sun 
From people to see the light, why?

I saw dreams fading into apparition 
Seeping out from the deep black hole 
Leaving matters in emptiness of hope 

I saw beautiful vultures, beast in human 
Crowded around a-day-old baby
Feeding on Its future and destiny, why?
I wonder how young would grow old

I saw crown on a headless chicken 
Powers in the hands of greedy foxes
Greedily consuming people's rights, why?

I saw money and wealth owned by ghosts
Body-less legs buying stuff in the market 
I wonder, where and how they got the money?

I saw some people dancing in the rain of wealth 
Rejoicing to their accrued money and fame
Did they get the money in the right way? 

I saw some people moaning and groaning 
In a raving surge of a blazing fire 
Barbarous people plunged them to hell
Turned them to a modern slave, why?

I saw people working tirelessly in faith
Like a programmed machinery of time
Their sweat could only console their faces 
Because they now feed through their nose

I saw death clothed in a peaceful garment
Poisoning brothers mind against each other 
Love; a free gift is now been sold in the store 
Help from above, for a lot is happening in my city. 

©® Jamiu Ahmed

Comments